Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Day 3: Paper Project

Make something out of paper without drawing, using scissors or glue.  After wasting amazing amounts of time around the holidays doing origami *evidence* I decided that I would try something different... I decided to BURN SHIT!  I started with a snowflake design, folding paper and burning holes (kind of cool).  Then I tried burning a tree shape.  I made a huge ASH mess (get it, instead of 'ass', PLUS ash is a kind of tree, that's bifunny).

I eventually decided to do this mummy, and yes, I cheated on the instructions.
I used the ashes of burnt paper to shade the eyes, nose, and mouth. I was never able to get the darkness or detail I wanted. The cheat here was using an adhesive but screw that burnt paper curls and to lay this out would have been pointless and painful.

Mummy1
Cheat two... used charcoal to draw facial features.  I spent hours burning paper (and my fingertips) and less than one minute with the charcoal in between snapping pics.  Such a forgiving medium.
mummy2

By the way burning paper is best done in the tub, easy clean up and less chance of burning down the house (did you immediately sing those last four words Talking Head's style after reading them).  Also, here's a crafty tip... while in there I realized I could paint water on the areas I didn't want to burn... but I wasted too much time figuring this out and moved on to making the mummy 'fuck it' style.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers