Thursday, April 14, 2011

Day 18: Junk in Your Trunk

Make something using things found in your car.
Well, amazingly, I keep my car pretty clean so I didn't have much in there besides CDs and maps.
I've seen a few people cut out road & subway maps to create a cool spiderweb sort of result.
So, I copied them, what are they gonna do:
MapCutOut1
I held it up to a lamp to get the feel and prove I cut out the pieces.  I'm trying to decide how to display it but I think I'm going to get a "floating" frame where the image is sandwiched between two pieces of glasses.
MapCutOut2
Lessons learned on this one... don't wait to do the intricate parts till the end... by that time you are pissed and tired.  Also, do not stick exacto into finger tip trying to cut off a sliver of tape... do not stick exacto into any body part period.
I'm such a klutz I was actually VERY concerned about holding an exposed blade for such an extended period of time... swipe hair out of face, lose an eye, itch my nose, hello career as MJ impersonater...
I remember hearing a story in grade school about some legendary person who lost an eye trying to shove a metal poker through fabric as a boy; that's the type of stupid thing I would do and be remembered for.  Can someone PLEASE tell me who that was?  An artist, musician, politician, a fictional character my brain thinks was real; this is now driving me crazy!

Update:  I almost feel like I shouldn't show this to you since it's going to make mine look lame but here is my inspiration (direct theft) for this project http://www.etsy.com/listing/55896814/london-mapcut.  Although, look at the price, $1450!?  I'll sell you my shitty IL cut out for 1/75th of that.

Update: To see the map in the floating frame check out Day 22

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers